Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

100% guaranteed!!!

Image by Vectorportal; CC license Attribution


Obviously, in my search to find my path through the smoking cessation nightmare, I have come across a million plans, pills, products and promotions (have you noticed: it's alliteration; I love alliteration, especially with p.)

I don't feel good about these products. Many of them provide substitutions or delay the inevitable. I totally understand that for some people, these much be miracle workers, and maybe you need to decide for yourself whether they are for you or not. They are not for me. If I can't combat the withdrawal, the cravings, the depression and the hunger that all come along with quitting, then I feel that I won't stay quit. Smoking will be an easy out instead of earning my freedom. I won't have fought for it, so it won't be as precious to me. Eh, if I start smoking again, I'll just buy the damn patch and quit again.

No, no. Not for me.

Things I am trying:
  1. Cold Turkey (I like cold pizza, why not cold turkey badum-bum)
  2. Smoker's Helpline (from the Canadian Cancer Society: I'm a huge believer in support and that sometimes it just needs to be anonymous, rather than coloured by personal relationships and hang-ups) (Really, go here. They offer tons of support including text messages!!)
  3. Chewing cloves (I actually haven't done this yet, but plan to try over this weekend... the oral fixation is driving me crazy!!)
  4. Drinking a metric shit-ton of water (I haven't peed this much in ever)
  5. Running/working out (while I do this anyway for a variety of reasons, it has taken on a kind of ferocity that I wasn't expecting; I do it because it just feels so damn awesome after.)
  6. Keeping busy, keeping distracted (see this blog, uh-huh, distraction right here)
  7. Mantras (they work for running, they may work for smoking)
I don't buy into patches, hypnosis, laser therapy, electric cigarettes, herbal substitutions, magic books (a.k.a. self hypnosis), or anything that promises satisfaction. I personally can't handle medication. Expect pain. Be strong. You can do it. (I can, I can.)

W.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment