Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Keeping it together

quit smokingImage by isabel bloedwater via FlickrI just put out a fire at work. Not one of those office-fires where it's just an emergency that can be solved with liberal use of the words "I understand..." and "I apologize..." and "of course...", but rather one of those fires with flames. The butt-box was on fire and my desk is too close to the door not to smell it. Second time this month, but the first time since I quit smoking. My jaw is still tightly clenched, grimacing from the acrid stench that is sitting on my clothes for the past hour since I dumped my tea on the flames. There's a gross patch of tar on the sleeve of my sweater where I brushed up against the container. I kinda feel like I'm going to toss cookie.

I don't have this sort of motivation and affirmation that quitting smoking is awesome on a daily basis. Daily, I have to ask the Duder to say he will be right back, rather than "I'm going for a smoke." I have to gulp glasses of water when my co-workers parade past my desk to their smoke breaks. I have to schedule every minute of my day to make sure there is no time for smoking. I also have to work out. Which is pretty awesome.

Every other day I will go for a run and follow-up with body-weight exercises. I break it up so that my body has a chance to rest and so I don't go insane trying to find another hour on days when I already go to class for all the time that I am not working. Coupled with not smoking, I've finally started to feel great.

RUNNING
Start off super small. Get a decent pair of shoes. Use Google maps to see how far you've gone. Now is a great time to listen to books on tape - I'm currently learning about the opera (it's pretty bad-ass). Drink as much water as you want. Watch the squirrels as you go by. Breathe in your nose, out your mouth. Relax your shoulders. Cough and spit all you want/need. Sign up for a 5K in the spring and put on a hat (it's starting to get cold). Go to
Runner's World; pretty much all the reference needed is here, you just have to look.

BODY-WEIGHT EXERCISES
All you need is a yoga mat, if you want the padding. Don't really need the shoes, but the same pair for running works. I got an interval timer, but only because they are super-handy, not because it was necessary. And then go to Body Rock. Zuzana is wonderful and puts together amazing workouts that are quick and sweaty. Plus she's a fox. Serious.

I tried to find some articles about addiction to exercise and fitness and couldn't find one with a tone that didn't immediately make me cranky. Fitness and exercise are fabulous. They make you feel (and be) powerful. They help you look great. And those two things are just as addictive as cocaine. Since I know myself a lot better than I once did, I know that I need to be careful with the promise of power and beauty and the euphoria of a long stretch after a long run. Watch yourself, be true to yourself and take care of yourself.

Work-out Strategies: Changing up your Fitness Routine to Build New Pathways is an interesting read about opiate addiction and fitness routine; a snapshot of a day for a woman with Vicodin addiction.

Unusual Ways to Quit Smoking aren't really unusual, but aren't bad ideas at all. Whatever it takes, right?


" Bad habits took time to develop; so do good ones. "



No comments:

Post a Comment