Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gonna be alright

Image by Kevin Dooley; CC license Attribution

Frustrating dreams last night of moving backward, imprisoning mice in plastic owls and being a bad driver (floating car = not good). But I woke up this morning. And it was kinda awesome. It's going to rain all day today, I have to go to work and I have classes this evening. But this Dude was there next to me, cat scratching at the door and all sorts of snooze buttons to push on cellphones.

What changed today from yesterday? All the stuff above was still true (except for the school thing). Yesterday I flaked on all my plans and spent some time with myself. Yesterday I was so bogged down with thoughts that I just needed to get them down, so I began writing here. Yesterday I had sushi for dinner (and there are still leftovers in the fridge). Yesterday was my sacrifice for an awesome today.

From my list yesterday, today I am going to make one of my run days. I've been reading Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running, which seems to be pretty absent of all the things I hate about female-specific literature. What it does have is run plans. Which I am following. Because they are good.

Okay, adorable (and true):

Image by Stuff No One Told Me; CC license Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs

I'm so hardcore! I just pierced my lip with a kilt pin! I can drink like 50 beers and throw up like 10 yards! Why doesn't anyone like me?


Back in my day (harhar), I remember the days when the punk ethos was "I don't care because no one cares about me" (I guess I don't know what it is now "officially"). It was a comment on perceived political status (see "SLC! Punk" 1998) but was often interpreted as a personal identity crisis. We were teenagers after all; all we had in us were personal identity crises. And then as we get older, we got used to the kilt pins in the eyebrows (so to speak) and ended up as shockingly sensitive people with office jobs, recovery issues and shockingly sensitive friends (wow, projecting much.)

So yes, go hug a punk (watch for spikes.)

W.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment