Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Life changes

Image by Libertinus; CC license Attribution-ShareAlike

Part of my recovery experience is trying to identify triggers, places we go and things we do that make it harder to give up the things we used to cling to.
  • Going to the bar (right, I smoke when I drink and what is he supposed to do at a bar, drink soda and ignore everyone boozing around him? awesome.)
  • Going to certain restaurants (sushi with Asahi, Italian with wine, steak with whisky, etc)
  • Going out dancing (with the bar right in the middle, see above)
  • Doing anything on Friday nights (IT'S PARTY TIME!)
  • Doing anything on Saturday nights (see above)
  • Cleaning the apartment (how did I go through a pack in one day? I thought I was cleaning...)
  • Sitting on the balcony (nothing like a western exposure for a smoke and a beer at the end of the day)
  • After sex (this is flavour country)
  • At work (9:30 break, 11:30 break, 14:00 break, off at 16:00 smokings)
I vaguely remember a line from a James Bond novel about how letting yourself fall into a daily routine will get you killed. He was talking about spies, but I can see how it applies to addicts (I hate that word. Is there a better word?)

I'm going to take some time now, break it down:


WORK

The most strongly developed routine in my life is my work routine. What I do as soon as I get into the office, my breaks, my calls, processing cheques: everything is on a timer. Since I am depended on by others and their processes to have certain things done at a certain time, I can't shift everything around (which would probably make it all easier). But I can make break-time smoke-time become break-time tea-time (jasmine green tea - damn right). I can stay a couple minutes late instead of rushing out for a cigarette, even if it's just to go to the bathroom.


GOING OUT

This one can be fun - instead of going to the same old places, hit up Yelp and find somewhere new! Make it a project to order something you've never had before at each restaurant and ask them to leave out the wine list when they bring the menus. That could probably even be included in reservation requirements if it's somewhere fancy enough. And I guess it's time to say goodbye to the bar-friends. Unless they want to come play in the park with me. Most bars (in Canada anyway) have near-beer in the fridge if you can't say good-bye for reals, but that is mighty hard to sit there, sipping fake beer, not having a shot when the call goes up, and so on. Can't go clubbing - maybe take waltzing lessons (hilarious!), organize a kitchen dance party (apartment dwellers, beware!), or even just stalking out some beach real estate to watch the waves at night (so pretty in the winter!)


WEEKEND

It's going to come. There is nothing I can do to stop it. So it's just time to adjust thinking a little. If I go to sleep at a relatively reasonable time, I can get to my favourite diner for breakfast before the line starts. Friday night is really the same as Thursday night: I still worked an entire day before beginning my social plans. Use the above strategies; sign up for a class that runs on Friday nights, or even early Saturday and Sunday; go to a museum (the ROM has half-price Friday nights!); chill in bed with your honey, a bag of popcorn and the complete season of Metalocalypse.


SEX

After sex craving? Have sex again. Lather, rinse and repeat to exhaustion. Then sleep. Maybe take a shower on giraffe legs (together!)


SPECIFIC LOCATIONS/ACTIVITIES

I don't go on the balcony anymore. I haven't in awhile. Last time I did, I was smoking. It sucks, because the balcony is beautiful, but I'm not ready yet. Instead of doing massive cleaning jags with half hour smoke breaks, I clean one thing for half an hour. That's it. I can do more later or let my roommates pick up some slack (hell, I do their dishes and wash their floors anyway). This plan of attack is defensive - avoidance. Adjustment. Recognizing my weakness and just not doing it.


I saw today that I've had at least 9 visitors. Not bad for an un-promoted blog. Anyone got other routine changing strategies?


W.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment